Horse Owner Agreement and Release [pdf]
Rocky Mountain Dressage Society Scholarship Program
1. Purpose of the Rocky Mountain Dressage Society Scholarship Program
The purpose of this program is to provide financial aid to RMDS members who request it to advance their dressage education and/or competitive skills. In addition, the Program will work to:
- Raise funds in order to increase the scholarship fund each year;
- Increase both the number of scholarships and the amounts awarded each year, and
- Target scholarship support so that the program continues to fulfill its purposes.
2. Basis of the RMDS Scholarship Awards
Scholarships are granted on the basis of financial need and volunteerism.
- Scholarship applicants must have completed a minimum of 8 hours of volunteering at RMDS events in the year prior to the scholarship year for which they are applying for a scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients must complete an additional 8 hours of volunteering at RMDS events during the year in which they were awarded the scholarship.
- Volunteer hours must be documented using the Volunteer Hours Form found on the RMDS website.
- Recipients will receive their full award funds once they have completed and verified with the Central Office a minimum of eight volunteer hours during the award year; have utilized their award funds for the educational activities detailed in their applications; and have written and submitted an article together with a photo to the RMDS magazine. Recipients have until September 30 of the award year to fulfill these requirements.
- The first half of the funds will be issued after the January meeting and the second half will be issued after the requirements are fulfilled. In the event recipients are unable to complete their obligations, they will be required to refund the first award check to the organization.
3. Application Requirements
Applicants are responsible for reading all Scholarship Program documents and understanding their obligations should they be awarded a scholarship. Application forms are available in Microsoft Word format from the RMDS web site. An applicant must be a current member of RMDS for the year of the scholarship. Applications must include the following in order to be reviewed:
- At least two letters of recommendation, with one preferably being from the applicant’s instructor or mentor;
- A detailed activity plan to include at least one educational event;
- All required waivers, signed (applicant, parent/guardian if applicable, horse owner if applicable);
- A projected budget; and
- Proof of volunteering
Completed applications must be submitted by mail (no signature required upon delivery) to the Scholarship Chair. The Scholarship Chair’s address is: Karen Harkin, 2687 Lookout Lane, Grand Junction, CO 81503. Applicants are encouraged to make copies of their documents; purchase tracking and delivery confirmation; and confirm delivery with Scholarship Chair.
If the applicant is a minor, the application must be signed by one parent or legal guardian. (Minor applicants are encouraged to complete the application in their own words; however, assistance from parents, mentors, instructors, etc. may be provided as appropriate).
4. Scholarships Categories
The RMDS Scholarship Program shall award money to riders in the following categories.
- The ‘Leg-Up’ Scholarship will be awarded to riders, regardless of age, who are training at Intro, Training or First Level.
- The Beverly Swanson Memorial ‘Solid Seat’ Scholarship will be awarded to riders who qualify as USEF Adult Amateurs (must have a current USEF AA card on file with the RMDS Central Office). This scholarship is available to riders over the age of 21 and for any level.
- The ‘Junior/Young Rider’ Scholarship will be awarded to a rider under the age of 21 and is available to riders of any level.
- The ‘Opening Doors’ Scholarship will be awarded to riders/riding instructors of any age who are considered professionals according to the USEF rules. This scholarship is available to professionals, whether they compete or not, to help support their continuing education and/or competitive goals.
- The ‘Barbara McElnea Scholarship’ will be awarded to any rider at any level residing in western Colorado at an annual amount of $1,000. This scholarship was created in honor of Barbara McElnea when the Western Colorado Chapter dissolved.
5. Obligations of Scholarship Recipients
Scholarship awards may be spent on any activities involving the horse and rider pair that will make a positive impact on the pair’s level of understanding of the principles of dressage and general horsemanship, and/or their level of competitive achievement.
- Scholarship awards must be spent in pursuit of the dressage-related activities documented in the recipient’s application.
- Scholarship funds must be spent within the scholarship year for which they were awarded.
- Scholarship recipients shall provide updates to the Chair monthly during the scholarship year. (An email to the Chair will suffice.)
- RMDS may ask recipients to speak to individuals or small groups about their scholarship experience.
- At the end of the scholarship year, recipients will write a comprehensive report to be published (with editing as needed) in the RMDS newsletter and on the RMDS website.
- Scholarship recipients must write at least one article for the Centaur during the scholarship year.
- Scholarship recipients are highly encouraged to share the knowledge and skills gained from their scholarship experience(s) to enrich our membership. This can be done through writing extra articles for the Centaur, by making a presentation at an RMDS chapter or board meeting, or hosting a presentation at a local barn.
- Recipients must communicate any changes to the planned scholarship activities to the Scholarship Chair in a timely manner. Any changes must conform to the requirements of this policy and will require the review and approval of the Scholarship Chair
- If the recipient is unable to complete the activities they have stated in their application, or to gain the approval of the Scholarship Chair for alternate activities, the recipient must return any unspent scholarship monies to the Scholarship Fund.
6. Scholarship Application Period and Award Decisions
- Each year, at the September RMDS Executive Board meeting, the Scholarship Committee will submit a recommendation to the Executive Board detailing which scholarships will be offered and in what amounts for the current year.
- The amount awarded in any year may not draw the balance in the Scholarship Fund down lower than 50% of the Funds balance as of the September meeting, until such time that the Scholarship Fund exceeds $10,000.
- If the Fund balance has exceeded $10,000 as of the September meeting, then the Fund may be drawn down up to 70% (that is, $3,000 left in the Fund).
- Scholarship applications will be accepted between October 1st and November 30th for the following year’s scholarships.
- The Scholarship Committee will review each application for completeness and compliance with Scholarship Program requirements.
- The Scholarship Committee will not consider late or incomplete applications.
- The Scholarship Committee will review all applications and make recommendations to the RMDS Executive Board at the January meeting. The RMDS Executive Board will vote on the recommendations presented, thus choosing the scholarship recipients.
- The Scholarship Chair will announce the names of the scholarship recipient(s) by January 30th of the Scholarship year.
7. Administration of the RMDS Scholarship Program
- The Scholarship Committee will review the Scholarship Program each year and propose any suggested changes to the RMDS Executive Board at the BOG meeting.
- The Scholarship Committee Chair (‘Chair’) shall be elected by the RMDS Executive Board to serve a term of two years, according to Article VIII-A-2 of the Bylaws of RMDS. The Chair will serve as a non-voting Administrator, and will organize and run the Scholarship Committee and administer the Scholarship Program. The Chair must be a RMDS member in good standing.
- The Chair’s tenure will last through the January meeting in order to maintain the continuity of the program.
- When possible, the Chapter President of each RMDS chapter shall appoint one person to serve on the Scholarship Committee. All Committee members must be RMDS members in good standing.
- Any RMDS member may suggest another RMDS member for appointment to the Scholarship Committee. Suggestions should be sent to a member’s Chapter President.
8. Obligations of the Scholarship Chair and Committee Members
- Neither the Scholarship Chair nor the Committee Members may be granted any scholarship while they serve on the Scholarship Committee.
- The Chair and Committee Members will maintain the privacy of scholarship applicants and the deliberations of the committee.
- Committee Members must recuse themselves from voting on any particular scholarship application if they have some interest or bias with regard to that applicant.
- If any RMDS member, scholarship applicant or scholarship recipient feels that the Scholarship Committee or Chair has conducted themselves in a manner that is inefficient or lacks impartiality or trustworthiness, s/he shall report this conduct to the RMDS President who will determine whether the accusation has merit to warrant further action.
- Other duties of the Scholarship Chair include:
- Taking an active role in raising funds for RMDS Scholarships. Scholarship Committee Members are encouraged to help with this task.
- Advertising the Scholarship Program in The Centaur, on the RMDS web site and by other reasonable means so that Program information reaches the largest possible number of potential applicants.
- Providing Scholarship Program guidelines and application forms to applicants and to the RMDS webmaster for posting to the web site.
- Maintaining all records and organizing/ managing the deliberations of the Committee. The Chair shall keep accurate and comprehensive records of all correspondence, deliberations and communications so that the flow of historical information will remain intact.
- Assisting applicants and recipients as needed.